Friday, August 25, 2006

A smiles worth a thousand...DOLLARS???

I finally got to go to the dentist yesterday. This my sound gross, but I haven't been in about 9 years. Jeremy and I have never had any benefits, and we couldn't afford to go with how much it costs. I think people must think I'm so weird because I love going to the dentist and always have, even as a kid. Strange I know. I'm pretty proud because the dental hygenist said that my teeth look great and she couldn't believe it's been so long. I do need to get some work done of course, to be expected. Some old silver fillings need to be replaced with the new white ones. Some other minor thing too. But the craziest thing was when we got the x-rays back from my teeth. 10 years ago I got two of my wisdom teeth pulled. (no fun). I now know why they only pulled the two. Probably because the other two were to complicated. The x-ray showed the one tooth growing completely horizontally underneath my gums, and the other one is up into my sinus cavity a bit. So I have an appointment on Sept. 11 with a specialist to see if its worth pulling them or if it's better to just leave them alone. The one that's growing sideways bothers me every now and then, so we'll see what the Dr has to say. The other down side to this is that our benefits won't cover wisdom teeth and it's not cheap to get them pulled. It's going to cost $75.00 just for the consultation for crying out loud. Jeremy has his appointment on the second of Oct. He is not looking forward to it at all. I hope he doesn't need his wisdom teeth pulled. His are all in and he seems to have room for them. But if he does need them pulled, not only will Jeremy and I both have to work, but Graysons going to need to get a job too. I hope Gerber is hiring. The best part about going to the dentist, was being able to lay there in the chair for an hour and a half and not do anything. Jeremy took Grayson, and went to the mall while they waited for me. It was wonderful.

6 comments:

Family Of Five said...

Well.... I love going to the dentist too! I love clean teeth!! I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth growing sideways... I was told if I left them they would grow into and wreck the roots of my other teeth. Having my wisdom teeth here was just covered by normal BC medical... we don't need any extended dental.

Miranda said...

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth remvoed last year and it was not pleasant. They were all complicated extactions and the bottom two were growing sideways just like yours. I put it off for many years and after a horrible infection i finally gave in and had it done. Travis has benefits but it still cost us a small fortune...you'd think that working for the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry at the U of A would have good dental benefits. We still had to pay over 900$ ourselves!

Jenn said...

Ya Jeremy has blue cross through work. Still doesn't cover enough. Why the heck did God give us wisdom teeth anyways if they just have to be pulled out???

Family Of Five said...

My sister never had any wisdom teeth. Some of us have them some don't! My hubby only had 2 wisdom teeth. I still can't believe you guys have to pay out there! I am thankful for living in BC and for our medical coverage! I can't imagine paying to have your wisdom teeth removed! Good luck! (My wisdom teeth never bothered me and I tried to refuse getting them but I was told they would lead to an infection....so... get it done before it gets bad)

Fred and Wendy said...

Okay that's just weird...you like laying in the dentist chair? Paying someone to create pain and discomfort? I think I would rather be sitting in a big comfy chair sipping on coffee...

Tammy Williams said...

My wisdom teeth grew in fine. One dentist told me I should have the pulled just to be on the safe side but after another dentist told me that I didn't really need to, I decided to save the money. So I have 2 wisdoms on the top and apparently the bottom one will never grow in anyway. I've had other extractions before and let me tell you - they are NOT fun! I was bed-ridden and doped up for over a week with 2 extractions and 2 root canals, all happening at different times.
I hope it all works out for you! Be thankful that you live in Canada though where most things are covered. A simple doctor visit down here costs $20 and that can add up when you're real sick!