Grayson has been sick since Sunday throwing up. He is now starting to feel better and not puking as much but he now has diarrhea. He hasn't been eating very much or drinking a whole lot. I think he's getting dehydrated, so Jeremy picked him up some pedialight (sp?) I try giving him a little tomorrow. It suck so much when your baby is sick.
I guess the Canadian food guide has been revised. I was checking it out, and I have to agree it's way better now. It's more personalized which is good because everyone is different and there bodies require different amounts of food from the different food groups. I think Jeremy and I are going to try and follow our personal guides. I find it difficult to eat all the fruits and veggies required. However I don't have a problem with the breads. I'm a carbohydrate junkie. I love cereal and bread. Maybe a little too much. Click HERE to check it out and click on the Canada's food guide.
Tuesday, February 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Not that this has anything to do with why Grayson is sick, but I just thought I would share this info with you. Down here they are urging mothers to not feed their babies food until they are 6 months or older. New studies have shown that any earlier could risk allergic reactions and the intestines are not developed enough to digest the food properly. Also, you reminded me of what I heard a pediatrician say on Dr. Phil. A lot of us are addicted to carbs nowadays but it could very well be because of the rice cereal that our parents first fed us. The pediatrician suggested to not start your baby off with the rice ceral but instead with mashed bananas, avacados, pears, & applesauce. I think this is the way we are going to do it. I don't want to risk Maya getting addicted to carbs too - like me :)
The guideline here is 6 months also but all babies are different and Grayson for sure needed it early. I have lots of other opinions in response to Tammy's comment but they are nothing that needs to be posted here. There is no "right" way to start solids and whatever foods you start with I don't think they are going to cause or prevent any sort of food addictions. I have also heard to start with vegetables first because if they taste the fruit first they will refuse the veggies. I say do whatever is right for you child. Experience is the best knowledge. They way I did things with Isabelle is much different than the way i did things with Zoƫ. Doctors and nurses are not always right. Advice from Dr. Phil's show is highly baised. Your opinion is the only one that counts. You are the mom...but you already know that.
Here, here Miranda. I totally agree. I did things somewhat the same for feeding with boths kids, but different too. Quint was closer to 6 months and Tay was around 5 months when I started food. It's all up to you as the mom. And if a baby needs it sooner than the recommended age than so be it. I have always given cereal first and always will.
I would have to agree with Miranda and Kirst on that. Especially with Miranda on not giving fruit first. Then they get a taste for the sweet stuff and don't want to eat the others.
We started with the cereal first for both kids and if I was having more I would still do it that way.
I think it is up to the mother to wade through all the information she is given and decide what is best for her children. After all she would know them best.
Some doctors told me things that sounded great but had the opposite effect of what they were supposed to do. We really have to trust our instincts here.
I didn't mean to come across as confrontational. Sorry if it was taken that way. Get well soon Grayson!!!
Sorry Jenn, I didn't want to turn this into a big debate. I was just saying that I am waiting to feed Maya until she is 6 months and even at that time I will probably start her off with some sort of yellow vegetable or avacados or something. We'll see how she does with it. Until then, I really don't have much more to say. I will just have to take it one day at a time. We have 1 1/2 more months before she takes her first bite though.
Hope it gets better soon. Haven has had the exact same thing since Saturday and Walker began his puking today! Long week ahead.
I think the babies themselves let you know when they are ready..I gave kady rice cereal in he rbottle at two months which helped her sleep better and she had solid food at 4 months but only small tastes of ity to get her used to it. I didnt know I was supposed to start with veggies; I started with applesauce first but with her it didnt matter because she eats just about everything I give her. I knew she was ready for actual serving of solid food by 5 months because she was tossing aside her bottle when I was trying to feed her and opening her mouth for the food..lol...I agree every baby is different!! In Grayson's case he is a big baby and therefore needed solid food sooner..Jenn you are doing everything right from what I see!! I hope Grayson gets better soon. :o)
how's my little man doing?? any relief?
I hope Gray's feeling better now.
Does the new food guide have a group for chocolate? That is something I could definitely follow. Hope things are coming together for your move.
Love you.
Wow, you blog about Grayson being sick and you open a can of worms, not your fault by any means!! Parenting is such a sensitive subject. We feel strongly about our way of doing things, but we need to offer our way as a suggestion and not sound criticising. "the docs say.." blah blah, take what you can and do your best, but don't worry about what the docs say seriously. I am on #2 and know how VERY DIFFERENT they can be. My 1st took solids right after 4 months and hasn't looked back (with NO allergies and started on rice cereal and veggies first), my 2nd who is now 6 months by the way won't come near the stuff.
I hope Grayson is doing much better now, you stopped nursing right? Otherwise I'd say your breastmilk is built in pedialite, works WONDERS! I am so glad I still had the stuff in me when Jonah turned 2 he was puking for days on end and wouldn't eat any food, only my milk. God made some pretty good stuff in there, I am going to applaud him when I get up there!
Proud nursing MAMMA for 3+ years now.
Post a Comment