Thursday, April 12, 2007

It's not a tum'a

We met up with Lindsay and Pete today unexpectedly at cost co. We decide to have lunch together there. I put Grayson down so he could walk around a bit and too let Pete see how well Gray was doing. No more than 30 seconds later Grayson fell and hit his head on a chair. I didn't react with excitement because that always makes it worse for the kids, plus it didn't look like he hit it that hard. I picked him up and immediately I saw a bruise. Not a big deal, he will have many more. I turned and look at it a few second later, and OH MY GOSH. It was huge. It went from a bruise to a huge growth on his eye brow bone. My poor little guy. He is doing fine. He actually was fine after he cried for about 2 minutes. But let me tell you the looks I got could have killed. People where looking at me like I had just beat my Child. I could help but feel like a bad parent. Maybe just because I didn't react with a lot of drama? Who knows. Anyways the swelling has gone down some, but I'm sure the bruise will just get bigger and darker. This picture was taken with Pete's cell phone a few minutes after it happened. You think that looks bad, you should have seen it from the side. He looked like he had grown a horn.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Gray!! What a tough cookie! And it still didn't hold him back!!

Ashley, Danielle , Benjamin, Samuel and Matthias said...

Wow his first black eye. he has benjamin beat. No worries Jenn I am sure there will be many more bruises to come.

BethJoy said...

Ahh the trials of just starting to walk! I'm sure he felt very safe and loved when you got him and that is why he stopped crying soon after the pain went away! It is NOT your fault, we have to let them go and learn these things, it happens to ALL of us! You are a great MOM.

Tammy Williams said...

YOu are not a bad mom. I don't react dramatically either. I did at first but after they hit their heads more than twice, you learn to not react too quick because they will pick up on it. Maya had a big fall last week and ended up with a similar bump on her forehead. It turned purple almost immediately and then it turned yellow over the next few days. Now it is almost gone. Oh the joys of mobile children!

Desiree said...

Who cares what other people think, they obviously have no idea or any children of their own then. But I know how you feel. When I took Walker to the hospital cause he fell and hurt his arm, I had no explanation cause I really didn't know how it happened(he was playing with a bunch of other kids at the time), then when I took him back to have the cast removed, he had a huge bump on his forehead from a wrapping paper roll. Kids are always getting hurt no matter how much you watch their every move. Haven fell off of her bed backwards the other day and smashed the back of her head. Not because I don't watch my kids, it just happens. Walker had a similar bump to Gray's at about the same age from hitting it on the couch! It was seriously the size of an egg within 30 seconds. And I watched the whole thing happen, he was just running and tripped. Anyways, I know I am rambling but I wanted you to see that it really does happen to everyone so all of those other people can just mind their own business. HUGS!

Kirst said...

Poor Kid! I hate the look from people that think what kind of parent is she. We all know you're not a bad parent. Kids all have bumps and bruises and will continue to. It's part of learning.
I find if I react to the fall, or whatever, they react differently. I think sometimes they get more scared than anything. Hope he's doing okay.

LorettaL said...

Oh man, Jenn!!! It's a doozie! Way to go Grayson!!! If you're going to do something, do it well! Ignore everyone else - remember me carrying Rachel upside down and getting stopped by an older lady, put her rightside up and she started screaming, so I put her back down and she was fine... You are his mom and know best.