Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Switch'n things up

We have moved the bedrooms around, well not the bedroom , but the people in them. It has been difficult for the last bit with the kids sharing a room so Jeremy and I have now moved into the downstairs bedroom. And the kids now each have there own rooms upstairs. I was a bit unsure about being so far away from them at first, but it's not that bad. Monitors are a wonderful things. The main reason for the change was because of Grayson. We found out he has what is called " Confusional arousal" I guess it is quite common in 2 and 3 year olds. What happens is when Grayson is sleeping his brain goes through 4 different stages of sleep just like all of us. Starting with REM and goes up from there into a deeper sleep. But sometimes his brain gets a STORM of electrodes, since his brain is growing so fast and he gets stuck between stages of sleep. He would be screaming and whining and crying for me. When I would go into see him he wouldn't tell us what was wrong and he wouldn't stop. It was getting so frustrating because before last week we had no idea what was going on. It turns out that he is not even awake when this was happening and has no memory of it. Kind of like sleep walking and "night terrors" The best thing to do is to leave them, and not wake them because it can prolong it. It can sometimes last as long as 10 min in the extreme cases. Sometimes it can happen when potty training is happening. Their mind tell them that they have to pee but they can't wake up because they are stuck between sleep stages. It's weird to leave him and see him go from flailing and screaming in his bed to sound asleep as if nothing even happen. I use to have "Night terrors" and sleep walk all the time when I was little. I even managed to unlock the deadbolt which I could never do and go out side in the middle of the night and pound on my neighbours door. When you sleep walk I think you some how have no feeling of pain and become stronger. Kinda freaky.
Needless to say we had to get Cassidy out of the room. She is such a light sleeper there is now way she would sleep through that. He hasn't had an episode since we have switch rooms up, but I do hope Cassidy well stay asleep next time it does happen. So far the switch as been alright. Both kids wake up at night most times and going up and down the stairs at night isn't fun, but over all I think it will be a change for the good. We will be able to let them cry it out a bit more. Here hoping.

5 comments:

BethJoy said...

Poor guy! It's nice you now know what is causing it. So you just have the 2 bedrooms upstairs, yeh going up and down stairs at night would get tiring:) Are you wanting more babies?? How many rooms do you have downstairs?

Desiree said...

Where would we sleep??? JK! Walker did that ALL the time before Haven was born, it was horrible! It lasted for 5 hours once, cuz we had no idea what it was and we tried to wake him, etc. Knock on wood it hasn't happened in a long time, so at least they probably grow out of it!

Jenn said...

we only have one bedroom downstairs to answer your question Beth. And to answer yours Des. We will be getting a futon for the living room downstairs and Jer and I will stay out there. You all can have the room. Don't worry it will still work. So you better come visit still.

Kirst said...

We go through this frequently with Taylor. The scariest one for us was a couple of weeks ago I found her standing on top of the bathroom counter sink, no lights on anywhere and screaming.
Hopefully Grayson continues to have good nights.

Anonymous said...

Kady's been doing that for months in the middle of the night plus she takes almost 2 hours to go down in the first place which isnt fun considering I have to get up a few hrs later and go to work. Maybe all kids this age go through it..at least I know I'm not alone.